Walk Around Carrickmacross
Northern Standard Carrickmacross News Thursday 28th June
4. HOLY WELL AND PENNY BRIDGE
Leaving the Fever Hospital, the walk route proceeds from the Shercock Road and turns back towards the town towards Mullinary Street, formerly known as Penny Street as it is close to Penny Bridge. The name was formally changed by referendum in 1956. At the footpath on the right hand side (heading towards town) there was a holy well, the site of which is marked by a large stone. The inscription on the stone contains a cross with the sign ‘IHS’ (a symbol for Jesus) at the top. It proclaims that this water supply was erected by EPS (EP Shirley, the landlord) in the year of 1876. There is also a Bible quotation from John, chapter 4:
“Who drinks hereat shall thirst again
But waters are in store
So pure so deep that all who will
May drink and thirst no more”.
The well was covered in and was replaced by a pump, which now forms an attractive part of the annual Tidy Town display.
Nearby a stone marks the site of what was once the Penny Bridge on one of the entrances to the town. It got its name from the one penny cost of the toll that used to be charged for those using the bridge over the river that feeds into Lough na Glack. According to Henderson’s Carrickmacross directory for 1856, boot and shoemaker Patrick Tumelty had a premises at the Penny Bridge and other members of the Tumelty clann were in the same trade at Main Street and Monaghan Street.