Day three of our travels saw the group leave Ieper and head back across the border towards the town of La Boiselle in France. There we visited the Lochnagar crater.
Lochnagar Crater is in private ownership. The site was bought by Richard Dunning and the area is now run by a Trust.
The British named the mine after Lochnagar Street, the British trench from which the gallery was driven. The charge at Lochnagar was one of nineteen mines that were placed beneath the German lines on the British section of the Somme front, to assist the infantry advance at the start of the battle.
The mine was sprung at 7:28 a.m. on 1 July 1916 and left a crater 98 ft (30 m) deep and 330 ft (100 m) wide, which was captured and held by British troops. The attack on either flank was defeated by German small-arms and artillery fire, except on the extreme right flank and just south of La Boisselle, north of the Lochnagar Crater. The crater has been preserved as a memorial and a religious service is held annually on 1st July.
More pictures of the Lochnagar Crater.